Truth

Muslims are NOT your enemy

Do you know what it’s like to have people look at you like you are a terrorist? I am guessing that most likely you don’t. Do you know what it’s like to go to the airport and have people stare at you in fear thinking that you are going to blow up their plane? Do you know what it’s like to be categorized with terrorist groups like ISIS? My sweet husband knows exactly how this feels. My husband is Arab. He was born and raised in a Muslim family in the Middle East. My husband is not a terrorist. He isn’t scary or dangerous. He is a loving husband and father. He has better morals than the majority of American men I know. My husband has never held a gun, never physically hurt a soul, and was always taught to love others unconditionally. I am here to tell you that my husband is not your enemy.

I know what you are probably thinking: “What about ISIS? What about September 11th? Aren’t those terrorists Muslim’s?” The answer is yes. Those extremists identify themselves as Muslims. I am hear to tell you that those people make us less than 1% of the Muslim population. The other 99% can’t stand ISIS. There are Muslim groups all over the world rioting and fighting against ISIS. My husband’s family in the Middle East are incredibly sad by ISIS and can’t stand what terrorism is doing to our world.

Did you know that there are terrorist groups in every religion? Just last week there was an individual involved with murdering innocent people just outside of a Planned Parenthood in Colorado Springs. This individual claimed to be a Christian standing up for justice. Just google Christian terrorism and you will find thousands of articles sharing stories of people killing others in the name of Christianity. Every religion has extremeists. Those extremists are not the majority.

My goal in writing this article is to inform others to quit stereotyping. You don’t need to be scared every time you see a Muslim person walking around. Quit putting all Muslim people in the same category as ISIS. It’s incredibly offensive. Have you ever even met a Muslim person? Every Muslim friend I have is kind and hospitable. My brother and sister in laws in the Middle East are some of my favorite people in the world. I often times feel safer with them then I do here in America. My in laws have no desire to visit us here in America. They know that they will be judged and looked down upon as soon as they set foot on our land. My heart breaks for them. I wish I could tell them that they would be loved by my country, but I know that I can’t. The truth is that they will be judged. Most people will stare at them because their clothes are different than ours. Most people will walk right past them.

I encourage you to spread this message. What if we chose love over hate? What if we put our fear aside and chose to be kind. What if we truly treated all people equally? I encourage you to reach out to ALL people. My hope is that my husband and his family will one day feel loved by people here in America. I dream of the day that my Muslim friends feel comfortable going to the airport. I know that there are certain protocols that businesses need to follow to protect people, but let’s not let that affect how we treat people from day to day. Let’s choose love.

Sincerely,

A white American girl in love with her Arab husband

(IMAGE: Google)

You Might Also Like

No Comments

Leave a Reply